The challenges and rewards are greatest where two systems meet.

Friday, October 15, 2010

10/10/10 Earth Support / Beyond War

Three weeks ago I received a call from an old friend. Marty was asking if I wanted to join in planning an action for 350.org 10/10/10.  When I arrived for the planning session I was surprised to see the group was made up of 10 members of "Beyond War" , a peace action group from the 80's. It was great to see everyone but I was surprised , there were no young people.

We decided to hand out 350 seedlings to help educate about Climate Change.
I dug well over 300 seedlings of white pine, oak, and red maple to combine with Donna's 100 seedlings.


Next some neighbors rode their bikes up to label and load the truck.

















They made very short work of it and had fun.

Gret and I drove to Center Sandwich and Mocha Rizing (a great little restaurant and store) to set up....


and bag the trees.



       Ready to go!                             


I handed out my first seedling and it was planted in moments.

                                 

The day was a "10". People were so positive.





At one point I heard someone call: "Is that Barry?"  It turned out to be a friend I had not seen since our last Beyond War meeting over 15 years ago.


With a little help from humanity, perhaps these seedlings will be around for the 150th Sandwich Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment